Ok I know I am a hard core charcoal BBQ guy but even I have my limits to cooking outside in the winter, especially during the week.
Cook a nice piece of steak in a skillet? Blasphemy. Nope, I hate so say it, its pretty darn good. You don’t really even need the blue cheese, we just like it.
What ever you do on this one, don’t use cheap or thin meat. You will be disappointed. We don’t eat steak that often so spending an extra couple of dollars on a good cut is easy to justify.
Pan seared oven cooked steak with blue cheese
- Cast iron skillet
- 2 pieces Steak New York or rib eye well marbled thicker the better
- 4 tbsp steak spice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ to ½ cup Blue cheese Depends on how much you prefer and how big steaks are.
- 2 tbsp milk
- Start with a good piece of meet, well marbled but not too fatty
- Season meat
- Turn oven on to 325
- Add oil to skillet and heat on stove top using medium high heat almost until the oil starts to smoke. If you have a grill skillet it will work better but any cast iron one will work.
- Add steaks to the skillet and sear both sides. You want the meat seared to keep the juices in. You are not cooking the meat. You can also add more steak spice if you like. Make sure your range hood is on, you will get a bit of smoke.
- Once seared, move the skillet and steak into the oven and cook gently at 300 to 325.
- Cook until meat is done to preference. Dont over cook it.
- Place blue cheese and mike in a small micowavable bowel and heat until melted stirirng occationally. 30 to 40 seconds usually
- Pour blue cheese over meat and serve.