If you know me then you know the only way for me to do lamb is nice and slow on a webber charcoal bbq.
But as I get older and it gets colder out, I am not in as big a hurry to bbq in the winter. When I came across this recipe and had to try it.
This recipe comes from a website called ketodietapp.com which has, who knew, an keto diet app you can download. I will give it a try over the weekend, and add an update later on the app.
Now I am not giving up the webber, but at -15C, I’d much rather be in the kitchen.
Roasted leg of lamb
- 1 lamb leg whole (~ 2 kg / 4.4 lb) – this will yield about 50% cooked meat
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 60 ml/ 2 fl oz – avoid sweet syrupy types of balsamic
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or Homemade Fruit Vinegar 60 ml/ 2 fl oz
- 4 cloves black aged garlic or fresh garlic If you can't find black garlic, use freshly sliced white garlic.
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 2-3 cups water
- 4 heads small lettuce to serve 400 g/ 14.2 oz
- Preheat the oven to 150 °C/ 300 °F (fan assisted), or 170 °C/ 340 °F (conventional).
- Peel the garlic and slice it into smaller pieces.
- Place the lamb leg into a baking dish. Add balsamic vinegar, fruit vinegar, sliced garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and add water.
- Cover with a lid and place the lamb in the oven for about 30 minutes per pound. 2 hours for a 4 lb leg.
- After 2 hours, take the lid off, baste with the vinegar juices, and increase the temperature to 200 °C/ 400 °F (fan assisted), or 220 °C/ 425 °F (conventional). Cook for another 30-45 minutes, basting with the juices once or twice again.
- When done, carefully remove from the oven and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- When the meat is still warm, shred it with a fork. Pour the meat sauce over the shredded meat.
- Place it back in the oven if it needs reheating.
- Separate the lettuces leaves. Wash and dry them and spread them out on a plate.
- Top the lettus leaves with the shredded lamb and serve.