I know lasagna is all about the pasta, but pasta is a big one to cut back on if you are trying to loose weight. Think of this as more of a cabbage casserole. This is a great one for a Sunday dinner. It takes a bit of time to make but well worth it.
- 1 Large cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil you will need a bit more for baking
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 can 28oz crushed tomatos1
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinigar
- ¼ cup basil leaves, torn
- Kosher salt, I make it optional
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups Ricotta
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup grated parmesan, plus more for serving
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large skillet over medium heat the oil. Add onion an cook until soft. (5 min)
- Stir in garlic and ground beef and break it up. Cook until beef is no longer pink. When done drain fat.
- Add crushed tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in basil.
- In a medium bowel combime ricotta, eggs and parmesan.
- Grease a large baking dish with olive oil. Spoon in a thin layer of sauce. Add a layer of cabbage leaves, then top with another layer of sauce, ricotta mixture and mozzerella. Do this twice more.
- Bake until cabbage is tender and mozzerella is bubbly. About 25 minutes. Garnish with more basil and parmesan as desired.